Are you looking for a simple guide to make the perfect Basmati rice? See our recipe.
Basmati rice is the champion of rice dishes. It has an aromatic flavour and is served around kitchens everywhere in the world with traditional Indian cuisine.
That being said, it’s also the most awkward of rice dishes to cook. If you get it wrong, you’ll end up with rice pudding and so you’ll need to focus well when following this recipe.
Basmati rice is commonly cooked with whole cloves and cardamom pods to give it extra flavour.
If you follow our very simple guide on how to cook basmati rice, you can’t go wrong.
How long can I keep basmati rice in the fridge for?
Basmati rice can be stored in a fridge for 4 – 6 days, as long as it’s in an airtight container. Leftover basmati rice should be placed into a fridge within 3 hours.
Can I reheat basmati rice?
You can reheat basmati rice, as long as it’s been stored correctly. You can either heat it up in a microwave for about 3 mins per 250g of rice or throw it back in a pan with a bit of water for 5 or so minutes.
2 cups basmati rice
4 cardamom pods
4 whole cloves
½ tsp of tumeric (optional)
Salt and pepper
3 cups of water
- Place the rice into a sieve and rinse under cold water to remove the starch.
- Take the cardamon pods and crack them open.
- Take one saucepan and add all the ingredients in. Give it a quick stir and place the lid on.
- Bring the water up to the boil and then simmer for 8-10 minutes (leave the lid on).
- Once cooked, remove the whole cloves and cardamom pods and gently fluff up with a fork.
- Serve and enjoy!