If you’re looking for the perfect chilli hot dog, follow this recipe.
When we think of American dishes, the chilli hot dog is one we’ve all tried and come to love. Also called the “Texas chilli dog”, it was first introduced back in the 1920s in New Jersey.
This is a perfect dish to serve up to friends whilst watching the game on a night in.
Here is are simple recipe to make the best chilli hot dog
What ground beef is best for chilli dogs?
We’ve used lean ground beef that has a ratio of 80/20 (meaning 80% beef and 20% fat). You can use a 90/10 mix if you prefer but the 80/20 is a healthier option which we think tastes better.
What sausages are best for hot dogs?
When making chilli hot dogs, you can use any type of hot dog sausage but we recommend using high quality dogs for better taste. These can include:
- Wellshire Farms Premium Hot Dogs
- Boar’s Head Beef Frankfurters
- Hebrew National Beef Franks
- Just FreshDirect Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dogs
8 finger buns
1lb of ground beef
3 cloves of garlic (pressed)
2 tbsp of chilli powder
1 tbsp of cumin
1 cup of water
1 can of tomato paste
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp of yellow mustard
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
- Start by taking the onions and slicing them into small cube sized pieces. Leave those there for now.
- Next, take a large size frying pan and place it over a medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then the ground beef and cook for around 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add half of the onions and pressed garlic to the beef and cook until the beef is brown.
- Add the chill power and cumin and stir for a minute before adding the tomato paste, water, salt, mustard and brown sugar. Cook for around two minutes and then simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Whilst your beef mix is simmering, place your hotdogs of choice into a steaming pan or a large pan of boiling water. Cook these for 5-10 minutes (timings are dependent on the hot dogs you have bought).
- Now take the hotdog buns and slice a grove in the top. Place the dogs inside and spoon the chilli on top.
- Add some raw onions and enjoy