Make the perfect cottage pie at home with this simple recipe.
Cottage Pie is a classic British dish that’s really simple to make. The traditional Cottage Pie consists of a few ingredients which include ground beef, onion, mashed potato and carrots.
What ground beef should I use for Cottage Pie?
When it comes to making Cottage Pie, the key is in the beef that you use. We recommend you use a beef that has an 80/20 fat ratio as some of the flavour you’ll get will be from the fat content. However, if you’d like to make a healthier option and don’t mind losing a little flavour, then you can use 90/10 beef.
How long can I keep Cottage Pie in the fridge?
A freshly cooked Cottage Pie can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days, as long as it’s covered with foil.
Can I freeze Cottage Pie?
Yes – you can freeze cottage pie, as long as its placed in the correct container or a freezer bag.
1 ½ lb ground beef
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
1 cup of frozen peas
2 carrots (diced)
1 bay leaf
1 cup beef stock or beef broth
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp fresh thyme
¼ cup milk
½ cup butter
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black ground pepper
- Place the beef in a frying pan on medium heat and cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until it’s well browned. When cooked, ensure all of the ground beef is broken down and then add it to a heat proof bowl for later. (Make sure you leave the juices in the frying pan).
- Next, add the onion into the frying pan and cook for around 3 to 4 minutes before adding in the carrots, garlic, salt and ground pepper. Cook for a further six minutes until softened then add the cooked ground beef back into the frying pan for a further one minute.
- Stir in the frozen peas, beef stock, bay leaf, tomato puree, worcestershire sauce and thyme and cook for around 5 minutes to allow all the flavours to combine (and to reduce some of the moisture). If you find your mix to be overly watery, add a tablespoon of all purpose flour and stir well.
- Place the mix into a baking dish and set aside.
- Peel and dice the potato and add to a pan of boiling water. Add a pinch of salt and cook for around 12 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and mash them up. Add the butter and milk and mix until you have a smooth texture.
- Spoon the mashed potato on top of the ground beef using a fork. Make sure you spread it evenly.
- Place into a preheated oven of 380℉ for 35 minutes and enjoy.