Chilli con carne is a well loved Mexican dish enjoyed all around the globe. It’s quite a versatile dish that goes well with most things including rice, jacket potatoes, burritos, nachos, fries and chips. Although some of us may be put off by the thought of making our own chilli, considering it to be too much of a mess on to make our own – we’ve got news for you… it’s one of the most simple recipes to make. Not only that, once you’ve mastered the art of chilli by starting with our basic recipe (which will still taste pretty darn good), you can really start to experiment with the flavour and add your own twists and tweaks.
What type of ground beef should I use ?
When buying the beef for your chilli con carne recipe, you should be looking for ground beef that has a maximum content of 80/20 fat. Anything with more fat content might make your chilli greasy (nothing worse than fat floating on the top of it).
Kitchen utensils required:
Utensils required can be found in most kitchens:
- 1 large saucepan
- 1 wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
How Cook A Chilli Con CarnePrint Recipe
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Red Pepper
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ½ tablespoon of paprika
- 2 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 cans of tomatoes
- 1 beef stock
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 500g Ground beef
- Salt and Pepper
1. Start by chopping the onion and pepper into small pieces.
2. Place the large pan on a medium heat and add 3 tbsp of oil.
3. Once the pan is hot enough, add the onions and cook until they turn a golden brown colour.
4. Add the ground beef and peppers and stir until the beef is cooked.
5. Add the cayenne pepper, paprika, cumin, chilli powder and tomato puree. Stir well and cook for another 5 mins.
6. Add the garlic and kidney beans. Stir well and then add the beef stock.
7. Add the tinned tomatoes and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Stir well.
8. Cook for a further 10 mins then bring down the heat and leave to simmer for 30 minutes
9. After thirty minutes, pile over anything you want and enjoy