Simple and tasty hot dogs wrapped in bacon.
Despite it only being a bit of sausage meat in a bun, the hotdog is a firm favourite in the US. Think of a hotdog and you’re likely to imagine the classic variety, with mustard and chilli (and maybe a bit of cheese and jalapenos). But we’ve taken the hotdog to another level altogether – the hot dog wrapped in bacon.
We’ve kept this recipe simple and easy to follow. You can put anything you want on your hotdog – there are no limits. However, at least once in your lifetime, you’ve got to try this.
What are the best sausages to use in a bacon wrapped hotdog?
When making your bacon wrapped hot dogs, you should avoid anything cheap and cheerful when it comes to your sausage meat. The best sausages to use are:
- Wellshire Farms premium Hot Dogs
- Boar’s Head Beef Frankfurters (with natural casing)
- Hebrew National Beef Franks
- Just FreshDirect 100% Grass-Fed Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dogs
What’s the best bacon to use?
You can’t just use any old bacon. Certain types of bacon aren’t going to cut it in your bacon wrapped hotdog. If bacon is too thick, it won’t wrap around your hotdog and it might even overpower any other tastes. Ideally, bacon should be thinner and one of the following:
- American bacon
- Streaky bacon
- Pancetta bacon
Home utensils required:
Thankfully, you don’t need any special equipment. Most utensils needed can be found in most kitchens:
- 1 large frying pan
- Cocktail sticks
- Chopping board
How To Make Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
6 Hot Dogs
6 Hot Dog Buns
12 Pieces of bacon
1 small onion
1 green pepper
- Start by slicing the onion and chopping the pepper in to small cubes.
- Take two pieces of bacon and wrap them around one of the sausages. Use two cocktail sticks at each end to hold the bacon in place .
- Place the large frying pan on a mid heat and add small amount of oil. Once the pan is hot enough, add the bacon wrapped sausage. Cook one side until it’s turned a golden color and then turn to cook the other sides .
- Once the sausage has cooked, take out the cocktail sticks. Add the onions and peppers to the pan until cooked (this may take you another 5 – 8 minutes) .
- Grab a bun and stuff it with the bacon wrapped sausage and onions and peppers.