If you’d like to make your own meatloaf from home, see our recipe.
A well loved American, hearty meal is the classic meatloaf.
Meatloaf has its origins in Scandinavia and Germany when it found its way to the US in the 19th century. It’s a really simple, but great tasting recipe which has become a popular family dish throughout the States.
To make a good meatloaf, we recommend buying quality materials.
What ground beef is best for meatloaf?
In this recipe we use 90/10 ratio beef (90% beef and 10% fat), this being the healthier option. We also find that a 70/30 ration can leave the meatloaf a bit fatty.
- Mixing bowl
- Chopping board
- Frying Pan
- Tin foil
servings 4 – 6
1½ lbs Ground beef
1 Small onion
A dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp dried thyme
¼ cup of fresh parsley (finally cut)
¼ cup Carrots (shredded and diced)
½ cup red pepper (diced)
½ cup tomato ketchup
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp ground pepper
A drizzle of Olive oil
- Start by dicing the onion into small pieces, add to a frypan on a medium heat with a dash of olive oil.
- Cook the onions for around 5 mins then add the red peppers and cook for further 2 mins.
- Add the pressed garlic and thyme and cook for further 2 mins (or until golden brown). Then remove the pan from heat.
- Next, take one large mixing bowl and add the parsley, carrots, ketchup, mustard, egg, salt and ground pepper. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and mix together.
- (At this stage, start preheating the oven at 350°F).
- Now, add the onion and peppers from the frying pan to the mixing bowl, then add in the ground beef. Using both hands, mix together well.
- Line a baking tray with tin foil and place the mixture into the tray. Mould into a meatloaf shape with your hands and place into the oven at 350°F.
- Cook for an hour, serve and enjoy.