If you are looking for how to make the perfect macaroni and cheese, follow this recipe.
Macaroni and cheese also known as (mac ‘n’ cheese) originated in the UK but has become a popular favorite in the US. Here is our simple guide on how to make the perfect mac ‘n’ cheese that is both super simple and very tasty. A great dish for nights in with friends or family.
When making macaroni and cheese, it’s best to only use high quality ingredients.
What type of cheese should I use?
This really comes down to the flavour and which cheese you prefer. If you really like cheese, you can add several different cheeses, as long as this adds up to the required cheese measurement needed in the recipe. Remember though- cheese such as Parmesan is a great deal stronger than a regular cheddar (and so if you don’t want an overbearing cheese taste, stick to milder versions).
- Frying pan
- Oven dish
- Chopping board
- Cheese grater
- Sharp knife
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup gruyere cheese
1 cup Mozzarella cheese
3 tbsp of all purpose flour
4 cups of full fat milk
500g macaroni pasta
1 tsp dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp butter
- Start by taking the onions and slice them into small pieces. Add them to a frying pan on a medium heat, along with the butter. Cook for around ten minutes (or until onions are golden) and then reduce the heat.
- Once the pan has cooled down, add the flour and milk and stir well to ensure there are no lumps. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the pasta to some boiling water in a saucepan with a pinch of salt and cook for 6 or 7 mins (make sure the pasta is not cooked all the way through).
- Return to your frying pan and add in the cheese and dijon. Stir in the drained pasta, ensuring it is all coated with the mix.
- Place the mac and cheese into an ovenproof dish and place into a preheated oven of 400f / 200c. Cook for around 30 minutes (or until it has crisped up) and then top with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve up and enjoy!