Want to make your own southern fried chicken, just as good KFC? See our recipe below.
When we’re in the fancy for some southern fried chicken, most of us will head out to our local KFC.
A KFC does taste great, there’s no denying that. But if you’d like to make southern fried chicken yourself, then we have got the recipe for you.
If cooked correctly, this recipe will give you some of the best tasting southern fried chicken you’ve ever had. We bet it’ll be just as good as you’d get from your favourite food places (and will likely be a lot cheaper on budget).
Which part of chicken is best for fried chicken?
When it comes to making southern fried chicken, you will find that using the thigh seems to be the best tasting part for making southern fried chicken but there is no problem using parts such as the leg or breast, all tastes great!
Can you reheat fried Chicken?
Yes you can! All you have to do is preheat the oven at around 380°F. Place the fried chicken on a baking tray that has a rack and cook for about 12 – 15 minutes. Try not to over cook or it will lead to over drying
How long can you keep fried chicken in the fridge?
Chicken can usually last into fridge when stored in the correct container for 3 to 4 days before its shelf life has expired ( do not put hot chicken into the fridge)
servings 2 -3
6 pieces chicken
1 cup Buttermilk
2 cups of all purpose flour
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp celery salt
1 tsp ground thyme
1 tbsp Black ground pepper
2 tbsp White ground pepper
3 tsp paprika
1 tbsp dried mustard
1 tbsp ground ginger
Vegetable oil for cooking
- Start by taking the chicken and trim off any excess fat then place into a bowl and pour over the buttermilk, add pinch salt and mix together ensuring all the chicken is coated and cover with clean film and place into a fridge for and allow to marinate for upto 4 hour, for best results leave in fridge for 24hr.
- Next take a deep plate or a bowl and add the flour, salt, garlic powder, celery salt, ground thyme, ground black pepper, white ground pepper, paprika, dried mustard and ground ginger and mix all together until well mixed and evenly dispersed
- Take another bowl and add the two eggs and whisk until mixed.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge and allow it to acclimatize to the room temperature for about 30 minutes as cold chicken straight from the fridge will not cook properly and will cause the oil to go too cold.
- Take one place of chicken and dip into egg mix and make sure the egg mix has coated the chicken then place into the flour mix again ensuring the flour well coats the chicken and places onto a plate ready for frying. Repeat until you have done all the chicken.
- Take a large frypan and add enough oil so it covers half the chicken then place onto medium heat (if the oil is to hot in frying pan and fill it will cook the chicken on the outside) once the oil is hot enough only place 3 chicken at a time for 7 minutes each side ensuring the chicken is well cooked then place into pre heat oven of 350 degrees and cook on oven rack for about 6 minutes this will help crispy up the chicken remove excess oils and ensure that the fried chicken is well cooked
- Serve and enjoy!